[clug] broadband usage on static IP

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au
Mon Apr 11 12:54:09 GMT 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 10:27:05PM +1000, John Fletcher wrote:
> I have to say that I agree with the ISP.  To be fair, it's your fault that
> the connection requests are coming in.

Well, unless they're the fault of the previous user with that IP
address.

> I've never used bittorrent, but can't you just be a kind of parasite and
> download from everyone else while not offering anything yourself for
> download?  That would solve your problem.  Of course it's not in the

Actually, it'd most likely reduce your download speed. Many trackers and
clients punish people who do not upload. Bittorrent really comes into
its own on symmetrical links, ADSL is almost the worst environment for
it, barring dialup. (Which is the worst environment for almost
_anything_ ^_^)

> "community spirit" but I think it's fair enough if you are a Uni student and
> you are poor.  On the other hand, if you not poor, I suggest you pay the
> extra $5 per month - it won't kill you.  You wouldn't believe the feeling of
> calm derived from never worrying about your download usage - it's worth
> paying for in my opinion.

Indeed. That was the theory I founded my ISP on, but sadly not enough
people felt that way, so we had to introduce other plans which
introduces complications like the above. *sigh*

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson at Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.