[clug] Transact whinge, was "broadband ISPs in Canberra"

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Sep 29 00:43:14 GMT 2004

On 29 Sep 2004, at 10:05, Andrew Smith wrote:

> Actually the outbound data would only be a fraction of their inbound.

But 2Mbps inbound will still saturate the link, no? And considering
that the going rate for bandwidth is in the order of $1000/month/Mbps,
I can't see anyone offering a consumer level 2Mbps connection just yet
;)

2Mbps over the TransACT network would be great - all our kids could
waste so much time playing games that we'll be well on the way to
becoming the "dumb country" (or at least, the "twitch country"). I
expect upstream to the Internet would be much slower, since connections
tend to get slower the longer they are (simply because of the hardware
used).

>> TransACT like to charge you to run a cable in their datacentre...
>
> Hmm, that Cat5 is expensive stuff.

There's the cable to run, the port to plug it into, the machine to
service that port, the human to monitor the cable and the port and the
machine to make sure it's all performing properly, the human to do the
billing, and the human to collect the money when you refuse to pay for
"just a cable".

And that's assuming that all you're paying for is local data exchange.
In some cases the upstream bandwidth is included in the price, in
others you buy upstream bandwidth separately. As an example, one
provider's wholesale ADSL product involves two physical cables (I think
they're physically separate for ease of administration and billing,
there's no technical reason) - one connects your L2TP LNS to their
LACs, the other connects you to the Internet.

Clear as mud?
Alex Satrapa

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we
can solve them."  --Isaac Asimov