[clug] Transact whinge, was "broadband ISPs in Canberra"

Andrew Pollock andrew-clug at andrew.net.au
Sun Sep 26 11:34:04 GMT 2004

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 11:20:18PM +1000, Andrew Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 14:24, Kim Holburn wrote:
> > TransACT with their VDSL is trying to compete against ADSL which is a
> > much cheaper technology when they could offer 55Mb to the home.
>
> This would have to be my biggest gripe with the Transact offerings.  Why
> do they insist on competing eye-for-eye with Telstra's products, when
> they could breeze in and guzump them with "the most advanced network in
> the world."  I'm sure this is the work of brainless marketeers.  Why not
> offer 2M symmetric?  Where's the competition in that?  The network
> apparently has the capacity.  Why would I pay $70/month for a 2M/256k
> bare service (plus ISP), when the equivalent Telstra 1.5M/256k service
> is bundled with an ISP charge for around $38/month?

I think poor ISPs would have a heart attack if they had to service 2M
customers. Crikey, it wouldn't take too many to saturate their own link to
the Internet...

> I work closely with several customers who have Transact's Virtual Router
> (ISP) product.  Incredibly, Transact even follow the Telstra delivery
> model there, including rate-based charging for bandwidth into the ERX
> for telehoused customers, in the _same_ premises a floor apart.  It's
> understandable for Telstra to do that, they generally have to drive the
> ATM carried service greater distances than the same building, although a
> pricing change there would be nice too.

TransACT like to charge you to run a cable in their datacentre...

regards

Andrew

--
linux.conf.au 2005   -  http://lca2005.linux.org.au/  -  Birthplace of Tux