[clug] broadband ISPs in Canberra

Paul Hampson Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au
Sat Sep 25 10:06:53 GMT 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 11:52:02AM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> (For example: why don't Transact use VoIP to do free national and
> cheap international calls?  I would have thought it'd be technically
> feasible, and it would be at least a small differentiator from regular
> telcos. But no.)

Because when they first built up, they were buying only Cisco gear,
(due to a purchasing decision maker who refused to buy non-Cisco),
and Cisco's VOIP wasn't ready. So they laid a narrowband telephone
cable along with the fibre, with plans to switch over to VOIP "any
time now". (This was in 1998 ^_^)

The "regulations require 000 connectivity" thing comes up too, but
a few years ago I tried to locate this regulation and failed.

I expect that it is somewhere in the Carrier license rules though,
and would appreciate a pointer if someone knows where it is. I now
expect that it would only apply to the "Universal Service Provider"
(which is Telstra generally), and is the flip side of the right-of-
access that goes with being the Universal Service Provider.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
CTO, Bandwidth Unlimited Pty Ltd.
Paul.Hampson at Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.