[clug] broadband ISPs in Canberra

Tomasz Ciolek tmc at dreamcraft.com.au
Sat Sep 25 02:52:48 GMT 2004

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 09:51:20AM +1000, Simon Haddon wrote:
> There is truth in that.  But there is more to the picture than what you
> think.  My understanding is
> 1.  The most data they deal with on a daily basis is telephony data of which
>     there are millions of switches happening daily.  Yes even with their
>     relatively small customer base.  I would like to see the computer
>     hardware requied to do that in VoIP and the bandwidth as well
> 2.  There are alot of telephony services that would be harder to implement
>     unless they brought the telephony switch that they have.
> 3.  Pure telephony line is more reliable and there are large legal issues
>     at stake.  ie:  I know if an ISP that can offer VoIP but only as
>     a second phone due to legal issues about being a home primary line
>     and offering a reliable service.
> 4.  VoIP suffers when the bandwidth is being chocked by other services.

You missed one other thing Simon. In some circumstances VoIP has
troubles with sending the '000' emergency calls to the correct call
centre for your area. I believe thet there is also legistlation that
revservers a proportion of the call capacity to route '000' calls. With
VoIP you cannot make such a guarantee.

Tomasz
--
Tomasz M. Ciolek