[clug] broadband ISPs in Canberra

Simon Haddon simon at sibern.com.au
Fri Sep 24 23:51:20 GMT 2004

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:52:02 +1000 Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:
>>
>> (For example: why don't Transact use VoIP to do free national and
>> cheap international calls?  I would have thought it'd be technically
>> feasible, and it would be at least a small differentiator from regular
>> telcos. But no.)
>
> Because their telephony wants to be *much* more reliable than the other
> bits of their network ...

There is truth in that.  But there is more to the picture than what you
think.  My understanding is
1.  The most data they deal with on a daily basis is telephony data of which
    there are millions of switches happening daily.  Yes even with their
    relatively small customer base.  I would like to see the computer
    hardware requied to do that in VoIP and the bandwidth as well
2.  There are alot of telephony services that would be harder to implement
    unless they brought the telephony switch that they have.
3.  Pure telephony line is more reliable and there are large legal issues
    at stake.  ie:  I know if an ISP that can offer VoIP but only as
    a second phone due to legal issues about being a home primary line
    and offering a reliable service.
4.  VoIP suffers when the bandwidth is being chocked by other services.

I had to write the data extraction programs for the telephony control data
and I have a little understanding of the complexities involved.  I can
undestand why they have a dedicated switch.  These things are very
complicated.  Easy if you want a simple line with no extras.  Extras
include diversions, phone range blocking, operator restrictions, hunting,
pabx, priviledges, etc.

Cheers,
Simon Haddon