[clug] broadband ISPs in Canberra

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Fri Sep 24 01:52:02 GMT 2004

On 24 Sep 2004, "Parsons, Drew" <ParsonsD at knox.nsw.edu.au> wrote:
> Dear Canberra Linux users,
>
> I am moving to Canberra next week, starting postdoc research at ANU.
>
> I'd like to hear what broadband providers you might recommend.

The first question you need to consider is what medium you want: ADSL,
Transact, Cable, etc..

Transact is a bit of a Canberra peculiarity, essentially an ATM (?)
connection that carries TV, phone and PPPOE-style Internet.
Interesting idea, but in practice I don't think they get enough value
out of it to make it a good deal.  Maybe if you want to get cable as
well it's worthwhile.  Some apartments are pre-wired for it, in which
case avoiding the setup costs of a phone or ADSL may be a factor.

(For example: why don't Transact use VoIP to do free national and
cheap international calls?  I would have thought it'd be technically
feasible, and it would be at least a small differentiator from regular
telcos. But no.)

> Have you had any particulary good experiences with any ISPs?  Or any
> particularly bad ones that I should avoid?

I had a bad experience with Netspeed and wouldn't recommend them.  I'm
currently on Velocity, who offer a high traffic cap but seem to
sometimes have wierd latency issues.

(My American friend still can't believe we have traffic charges.)

--
Martin
(my opinion only, of course)