[clug] Fwd: Sixth Australian Open Source Symposium

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Wed Sep 22 07:41:07 GMT 2004

Begin forwarded message:
> =
>

> Call for Participation
> Sixth Australian Open Source Symposium
> --------------------------------------
>
> The sixth Australian Open Source Symposium (AOSS 6) will be held in
> Perth on
> Thursday October 28th, 2004.
>
> AOSS is an annual one day symposium, run by OSS (Open Source Software)
> developers, for OSS developers. Of course, non-developers are welcome
> and
> encouraged to attend.
>
> Previous AOSS events were held in Melbourne (1999), Adelaide (2000),
> Canberra (2001), Sydney (2002) and Brisbane (2003).
>
> This year's event will be held at the OpenSource WA demonstration
> centre at
> Technology Park, Bentley.
>
> The goals of AOSS6 are
> -	to promote the sharing of information and experience
> 	relating to OSS
> -	to give the OSS community a place to interact
> -	to nurture and harness synergies between OSS projects
> -	to raise the awareness and credibility of OSS within the
> 	broader ICT community
>
> AOSS generally involves short (30 minute) presentation by developers of
> -	existing OSS projects
> -	work in progress
> -	cool technical stuff
>
> AOSS will involve sessions with specific themes, including
> -	open source platforms
> -	operating systems (Linux, BSD, etc)
> -	web infrastructure (Apache, Squid, etc)
> -	desktops (Gnome, KDE, etc)
> -	open source applications
> -	web applications (browsers, content management, etc)
> -	office systems (e.g. OpenOffice.org)
> -	collaborative applications
> -	open source languages
> -	Lua, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, Tcl
>
> This year, we are encouraging a non-technical session as well -
> covering issues such as:
> -	legal considerations
> -	strategies for effective OSS uptake
>
> The 2004 Australian Open Source awards will be presented during the
> conference. The awards encourage and recognise excellence, dedication
> and
> contribution of Australians working in the open source arena.
>
> TIMETABLE
>
> Please send abstracts (around 100 words) or expressions of interest by
> close
> of business on Tuesday 28th September, 2004. A formal paper is
> desirable,
> but consideration will be given to presentations without a paper if of
> sufficient quality or interest.
>
> PRESENTERS WILL RECEIVE FREE REGISTRATION
>
> Please e-mail submissions to aoss at auug.org.au
>
> AOSS 6 is presented by AUUG Inc, with the support of SLPWA Society of
> Linux
> Professionals (Western Australia) Inc and OpenSource WA.
>
> AUUG website:	http://www.auug.org.au
> AUUG Phone:	    	1 800 625 655
> SLPWA website:	http://www.slpwa.asn.au
> OpenSource WA:	http://www.opensource.wa.gov.au

> [...]
Kim Holburn
IT Manager, Canberra Research Laboratory
National Information and Communication Technology Australia
Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request
Cacert Root Cert: http://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=16 ->
http://www.cacert.org/cacert.crt
Aust. Spam Act: To stop receiving mail from me: reply and let me know.

                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961