[clug] route flumox

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Sep 22 01:30:50 GMT 2004

On 22 Sep 2004, at 19:31, Simon Burton wrote:

> Whenever I turn on a linux machine on my LAN
> my main dial up machine decides to add a default gateway (arrow)
> that used to be the gateway ages ago but is not anymore.

Check your Linux machines for a route advertising daemon such as bird,
quagga, or zebra. Check the network for packets of protocol RIP, IGMP,
OSPF or BGP.

Possibly unrelated, but check the PPP configuration:
  - Look for "defaultroute" in any file (/etc/ppp/options*
/etc/ppp/peers/*)
  - Look for scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d that modify routes
  - I'm not certain, but check /etc/network/interfaces for a
    definition of ppp0, there might be something interesting
    in that

HTH
Alex

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we
can solve them."  --Isaac Asimov