[clug] GMail File system - Correct link

Edward C. Lang edlang at tsumakin.net
Thu Sep 16 07:05:48 GMT 2004

Hi,

Steve Walsh wrote:
> http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/gmail-filesystem/gmail-filesystem.htm

Throwing caution, sensibility and self-respectability to the wind, I'd
be curious to see what could be made of something like gmailfs, a
distributed filesystem or a P2P sharing protocol, and various datamining
tools. I've not looked at the GmailFS code, but does it expose the email
in the manner in which GMail presents it to the user? What could be done
with a meta-Gmail, in terms of text analysis and the like?

Probably not much more over what you can do with already exposed list
archives, but I imagine it could be quite a timesink for someone who
needed one.

Could it be used to trick GMail into analysing other datasources? (A
poor / free person's WinFS?)

Regards,

Edward.

--