[clug] Mail server stuff.

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Sep 14 13:01:55 GMT 2004

Tony and Robyn Lewis wrote:

> procmail might be more suited to your needs, Paul, especially if you're
> limited to only having the catch-all account for the ISP.  I'm guessing
> here, but you might use fetchmail to get the mail, and then "somehow"
> submit it to procmail, which could split it into different users'
> mailboxes on your machine.

I did just this a while back, and it caused me pain with mailling lists
who don't include the recipient in the To field in the headers. This is
a surprising number of mailling lists, which is quite annoying.

Also, I had troubles resolving mail which was sent to more than one
"virtual" address. One person would get all of the copies, while the
other people were left feeling unloved. That was probably just my dodgy
procmailling though.

Cheers,
Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,
http://www.stillhq.com            |  to achieve my many goals"

Linux.conf.au 2005 -- Quite like an excellent Linux and Open Source
conference. http://lca2005.linux.org.au