[clug] Mail server stuff.

Jim Watson jim at amarooas.com.au
Tue Sep 14 09:45:59 GMT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 06:53:28PM +1000, Paul Warren wrote:
> What they have is one pop3 email account that is a catchall for their
> domain.  They want that to be split into different accounts locally, one
> for the CEO at domain.com, one for Sales at domain.com, one for
> deliveries at domain.com etc etc.

I have a setup exactly what you describe. exim handles the mail, fetchmail
brings it down from the ISP.

Since people outside will need to send mail to the various accounts you need
each one recognised at the isp. If they host your domain name the ISP will
give you "5 free email accounts" or something like that, they set them up
like separate users and passwords.

in .fetchmailrc it looks like this:

poll mail.isp.com.au
 user 'CEO at domain.com' there with password 'secret' is 'paul' here
 user 'Sales at domain.com' there with password 'nothing' is 'fred' here
 user 'paul at domain.com' there with password 'private' is paul' here

so paul and fred are the real accounts on your system with emails like
paul at domain.com. you need set the from and reply to headers on outgoing as
you wish. you could also have local shared users called CEO if you wish.
there is lots of alternative configurations in exim and fetchmail.

jim