[clug] September Programmers' SIG meeting

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Sep 9 05:14:32 GMT 2004

On 8 Sep 2004, at 21:01, Paul Warren wrote:

> Does anyone know much about programming/development on embedded
> systems?

I could present a short talk about my final year project in 1995 - we
built a "security system" based on Dallas Touch Memory buttons, using
8051 microcontrollers talking over an RS-422 bus. Unfortunately I don't
have any hardware to show you (that's all still at Uni of Canberra),
but I can give you some pointers about the compromises that we made in
both hardware and software.

We used Hi-Tech C for that project - AFAIK it was ANSI C compliant for
the functions it supported, but it didn't support much.

> After the release of the Neuros[1] firmware source[2], I want to get
> started on fixing some gripes I have with it (monotype numerals for a
> start), and I've kind of no idea where to start (I've looked at the
> source, it kind of makes sense).
> The Neuros uses a TI DSP chip, which unfortunately has no open sourced
> compiler as yet[3]

Though I expect modern embedded systems will be a little more complex
than the 8051, and most of my development work was done with the aid of
an in-circuit emulator. Note that the 8051

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we
can solve them."  --Isaac Asimov