[clug] Smbpasswd problem ?

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Wed Sep 8 23:36:30 GMT 2004

I'm not sure what an LM machine is, but is there any possibility that it
may have upgraded LDAP on you recently (ie. before you resurrected it)?

This happened to a Debian SID (unstable) machine of mine (at home) a
little while ago. When ACTEW kindly cut the power for 6 hours without
prior notice and the machine came back up, it was running the new
LDAP server which couldn't read the back-end database files used by the
previous LDAP installation (same backed (BDB), but, apparently, a subtly
different file format).

My DHCP server was using that LDAP server for fixed-address leases and so
none of my other machines could get an IP address - quite sad really.

Anyway, if your distro has upgraded LDAP on you, you might find that you
need to re-install the older version, do a slapcat to get all the LDAP
data out in LDIF format, then upgrade your LDAP server, and reload it
with the slapadd from the LDIF backups.

One tell-tale sign is that the slapd process seems to be stuck in some
sort of CPU-hungry loop.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.