[clug] Smbpasswd problem ?

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Wed Sep 8 23:26:34 GMT 2004

Not meaning to start a flame fest or anything but isn't there a list
for samba problems?
Doesn't this list specifically say no samba questions?

In answer to your question, is there anything in /etc/ldap.conf or
wherever your distro puts it?

On 2004 Sep 9, , at 3:31 AM, Ken Walker wrote:

> I set up a LM machine a few months ago with LM8.2 and samba 2.2.8a.
>
> I set up a 5 disk software raid 5 and made 5 accounts and 5 entries
> into
> smbpasswd using
>
> smbpasswd -an XXXXXX
>
> All went fine, nothing out of the usual happened and all users could
> hammer
> the raid remotely to see if it died.
>
> I have just resurrected the machine, which has been powered for a
> month now.
>
> When i now enter
>
> smbpasswd -an XXXX
>
> i get the following !!
>
> [root at Samba3 mctkeaw]# smbpasswd -an mctssvw
> LDAPS option set...!
> ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as ""
> Bind failed: Can't contact LDAP server
> LDAPS option set...!
> ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as ""
> Bind failed: Can't contact LDAP server
> Failed to add entry for user mctssvw.
> Failed to modify password entry for user mctssvw
> [root at Samba3 mctkeaw]#
>
> I have looked in passwd and mctssvw is there.
>
> allow null passwords is in the global settings of smb.conf
>
> I have also looked in smb.conf and the ldap options are commented out.
>
> I have no idea why this should start now, nothing has been added or
> changed
> since it was last powered down.
>
> Can anybody help
>
> Many thanks
>
> Ken
> --

Kim Holburn
IT Manager, Canberra Research Laboratory
National Information and Communication Technology Australia
Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request
Cacert Root Cert: http://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=16 ->
http://www.cacert.org/cacert.crt
Aust. Spam Act: To stop receiving mail from me: reply and let me know.

                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961