[clug] Ways to post messages to mailing lists

Francis James Whittle fudje at phreaker.net
Tue Sep 7 11:08:50 GMT 2004

Broken threads.  Broken threads.  Geez.
The last few days have had some nice examples of how not to do it.

John Telek has been completely incapable of replying to a message
properly, and has given a top level post all the time he shouldn't.
This is nothing new for John and I think his mail client must be broken.
Others appear to have posted Off-topic for a thread, perhaps because you
don't realise that replying to a post tracks to the thread it's in.
It's very disconcerting to read something that actually has relevance to
linux in the middle of a thread where someone has decided to go ahead
and be a jerk, and post about their own ineptness.

Can we please be more careful about this?  Those of us who have threaded
displays in our mail clients get a really disorganised list of crap we
don't like -- well, I don't like that kind of clutter anyway, and I have
to presume that pretty much anyone actually using a threaded message
list doesn't.

Thanks,
	Francis