[clug] [Wanted] Someone to manage CLUG meetings

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Sep 7 00:05:23 GMT 2004

On 6 Sep 2004, at 17:45, Michael Still wrote:

> Right, dammit. I give in. What on earth is a gannet? The first page of
> google doesn't show anything relevant.

What the dictionary doesn't describe is that a gannet has a voracious
appetite. They aren't an ugly bird by any measure
(http://images.google.com.au/images?q=Gannet), so describing someone as
a gannet usually only means that they eat a lot (or quickly), with the
added insinuation that they are of little intelligence (bird brain) or
eating in a mindless fashion. I'm not sure (having never seen them
myself), but I think gannets also behave like seagulls - if you drop
something that looks edible near them, a great cloud of gannets will
descend upon the item, fighting each other for access to the morsel, be
it palatable or otherwise.

In the case of boxes full of pizza at a CLUG meeting, I understand the
implication to be that the unfortunate observer may even have sighted a
box full of pizza upon entering the feeding frenzy, but has found all
the boxes empty by the time the importune moved the three metres from
the door to the table.

Contrast with a penguin, which is an entirely more civilised animal.

Alex
(who enjoyed watching the seagulls in "Finding Nemo": "mine!" "mine!"
"mine!")

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we
can solve them."  --Isaac Asimov