[clug] [Wanted] Someone to manage CLUG meetings

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Mon Sep 6 07:29:39 GMT 2004

On 2004 Sep 6, , at 2:57 PM, Telek, John wrote:

> I really don't know why you people call yourselves the Canberra Linux
> Users Group.
>
> It should be the ANU Linux users group. Most canberrans I've spoken to
> are put off going to the meetings
> At ANU for 2 primary reasons,

> the location and

???  ANU is fairly central in Canberra.

> lack of access to the venue,

I've never had a problem unless I got there too early.  How would it be
different (apart from the cost) if CLUG hired a Park hall?  No-one
would be able to get in till the guy with the keys arrived?  If it was
cold and dark we would be stuck out in a park somewhere with nothing
nearby.

I personally am grateful that CSIT not only allows CLUG to use the
venue but that someone from CSIT volunteers to come along each CLUG
night to give people access.  Are you willing to do something like
that?

> and more importantly, the antics of it's regular members.

How is not holding it at the ANU going to change that?  I have no idea
what you're talking about anyway.  I've been to a couple of the
meetings and the people who turned up seemed like a normal bunch of
computer nerds to me.  No-one dressed as a trekky or anything.  Can you
be more specific (time, dates and maybe jpegs)?

> Maybe this should be considered and a new approach taken to get a more
> rounded cross section of the community involved.

Well do you mean that people with computer jobs (and who hasn't these
days) tend to get more rounded?  More exercise then.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Manager, Canberra Research Laboratory

                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961