[clug] Video4Linux and IEEE1394 cameras

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Sun Oct 31 09:19:19 GMT 2004

Andrew Pollock wrote:

> Just found this tidbit on http://www.linux1394.org/video1394.php
>
> "video1394 is not a Video4Linux driver. There are no Video4Linux drivers for
> Digital Camera video or DV on ieee1394. Instead, one must use a user-space
> program in conjunction with the vloopback Video4Linux driver."
>
> Looking for more info on this vloopback beastie now...

I've played with vloopback to get o519 webcams working. Basically what
you're beating your head up against is limitations in the video4linux
infrastructrure. vloopback lets people reinject data into the kernel,
and make it look like a video4linux device.

Let me know if you need more help.

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,
http://www.stillhq.com            |  to achieve my many goals"

Linux.conf.au 2005 -- Quite like an excellent Linux and Open Source
conference. http://lca2005.linux.org.au