[clug] USB Disk support under Woody

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Oct 28 07:24:31 GMT 2004

On 28 Oct 2004, at 17:10, Stephen Jenkin wrote:

> Debian Kernel 2.4.26+ works well with USB & supports hotplug.
> Think you can upgrade the kernel without forcing everything 'up'.

You can upgrade your kernel from 2.2.20 to 2.4.26 without too much
stress. I did it, that's saying a lot.

However, IIRC tools like usbmgr aren't available in woody, so you'd
either have to backport or compile from source (ick!) - so your kernel
will recognise that there is a device there, but it won't know what to
do with it.

I haven't touched Woody for a long time, but tonight I'll be messing
about with my Microsoft Windows (ie: games) machine, which has Woody
installed somewhere.

Regards
Alex

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we
can solve them."  --Isaac Asimov