[clug] Spreading the joy!

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Wed Oct 27 03:19:13 GMT 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Brett Worth wrote:

> I support some machines interstate so whenever I do something that I think
> might break it (especially with iptables)  I preceed it with:
>
> # at now + 5 minutes
> at> init 6
> at> <EOT>
> #
>
> If my change works I do an atrm to disarm it.

Mmm... I've been using "sleep 200 && reboot" in a seperate shell and
control-c'ing it /since/ my little oops :)

It is of somewhat limitted usefulness, though. For example, playing with
/etc/network/interfaces, if you do a /etc/init.d/network restart and
something is stuffed, rebooting's not going to help. So you get to play in
your initscripts to copy a backup into place... gah!

I think it's time to bump the priority up on the "serial consoles on
everything" ticket.

> Brett

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\
> You are in a maze of twisty semantics. You have: a hammer.
You miss the semantic. \The semantic hits you. \You are permenantly confused.