[clug] Spreading the joy!

Paul Warren u3292467 at anu.edu.au
Wed Oct 27 02:33:54 GMT 2004

Darren Freeman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> just thought you'd get a chuckle out of the horrendously brain-dead
> thing I did today.
>
> At a root prompt, working dir was /usr and I typed:
>
> rm -Rf bin
>
> Now, let it be known, I thought I was in /usr/local =)
>
> Search for the "undo" key! THERE'S NO UNDO KEY!!
>
> Not a very functional system at that point, facial expression changed,
> internal curse words were uttered.
>
> Lucky I had a year-old backup. Lucky the system hadn't been used in a
> year too ;) Couldn't rsync, couldn't do much of anything but burn a
> rewritable with the backup and carry it over. Did I mention the machine
> lives in a cleanroom :)
>
> Have fun,
> Darren

Recently I did a debian install for a client.  I set the root password
and promptly forgot it, before writing it down. a total mind blank, I
still don't remember what I set it to.  I just restarted the install,
wrote down the password, then set it :o)

Now I'm administering this machine from 4 hours away.

Another thing, this particular company didn't care about network
security, their philosophy was that only employees can get into the
building to access the Samba Share I set up, so they didn't want
passwords protecting it!  I couldn't convince them that this was a "Bad
Idea" TM.  and the customer is always right so i let it go

anyone else seen this sort of thing, and what should I do about it?

Cheers.
--
Paul Warren
u3292467 at anu dot edu dot au