[clug] sooo close

Tony and Robyn Lewis beakysnugger at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 14 13:28:37 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 22:57, David Tulloh wrote:
> I've never done anything quite like this.
> But an area I could suggest looking into is Xauthority.

Bingo.  I cracked it just before reading your email.

I found that if I logged in from a tty (Ctrl-Alt-F1), it would run OK
too.  So I ran strace on both and compared.  The main difference is that
the session run from within my current X session had
XAUTHORITY=/tmp/gdmXXXX, which the other didn't.  So if I ran
XAUTHORITY= before, to clear it out, then it worked fine.

Thanks for lending brainpower.

Tony