[clug] sooo close

Tony and Robyn Lewis beakysnugger at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 14 12:38:58 GMT 2004

I'm trying to get a VNC viewer session to happen on a different X
display, :1 (i.e. Ctrl-Alt-F8), and I'm close but not there yet.

I want it to work from a desktop icon, but it needs to run as root.

This works:
# xinit /usr/bin/xvncviewer -fullscreen -passwd /home/lewis/.vnc/passwd
goofy.home:0 -- :1

This doesn't:
$ sudo xinit /usr/bin/xvncviewer -fullscreen -passwd
/home/lewis/.vnc/passwd goofy.home:0 -- :1

The latter gives me errors like:
AUDIT: Thu Oct 14 22:31:07 2004: 5336 X: client 1 rejected from local
host
Xlib: No protocol specified

I've tried a number of things - making a bash script; tinkering with
sudo options; trying to launch it as a shell called by sudo or su;
comparing the environment of the sudo call with a root shell.  Nothing
seems to give me a clue.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tony Lewis