[clug] spam attacker

clug at d-silva.org clug at d-silva.org
Mon Oct 11 21:55:33 GMT 2004

This is the wrong way to approach the problem. Hosting costs very
little, whereas processing credit card numbers costs the merchant a
significant amount per transaction.

Being on the other side of the hosting issue, you are more likely to
hurt the provider than the spammer, as they generally use fraudulent
credit card numbers themselves when signing up for the services.

Legal issues aside, you could write a script that submits many orders to
the website, using trivial credit card numbers that checksum correctly
but will not pass validation (eg, all 0's). Even if they have used
stolen credit cards to pay for the credit card processing, it will (or
at least, should) attract the banks' attention when so many denied
transactions are processed against their account.

(This message has been CC'd to the owner of the page, as I'm sure (s)he
will provide useful input.

--
Alastair D'Silva           mob: 0413 485 733
Networking Consultant      fax: 0413 181 661