[clug] free software in venezuela

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Oct 5 00:00:03 GMT 2004

On 2 Oct 2004, at 17:21, Ambrose Andrews wrote:

> The objective of this decree is for Venezuela to achieve technological
> and informational independence. Free software is software that is
> distributed free of charge.

When will reporters learn?  There is a difference between "free of
encumbrance" and "free of charge", even if the words are similar in the
home language.

Venezuela will achieve independence not by using zero-dollar-cost
software, but by using unencumbered software.

I suspect that decades of RMS ranting about the difference between
"free" and "Free" will come to nought, and people will have to resort
to a different language to find a word that means the same :)

Não é software livre.  É o software que dá a liberdade.

Regards
Alex Satrapa

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we
can solve them."  --Isaac Asimov