[clug] broadband ISPs in Canberra

Paul Hampson Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au
Fri Oct 1 11:40:25 GMT 2004

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 08:24:54PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 08:00:46PM +1000, Darren Freeman wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 14:24, Kim Holburn wrote:
> > > TransACT could have offered just internet and TV.   Then they wouldn't
> > > have had the legal issues.  They didn't because telephony is the cash
> > > cow that drives all of what they're doing.  It's why Telstra is
> > > dragging it's feet so on broadband.   Telephony has miniscule data
> > > rates and enormous and complex bills.  Unfortunately this is being
> > > driven by the telcos who really don't want to give up their hold on
> > > your money for their very little service (in internet terms a phone
> > > call is a 2Kb connection).
> >
> > if you want minuscule data rate have a look at SMS =)
> >
> > 160 characters for 25c = 1.6 million bucks per GB of text (plus required
> > headers). And we all know that text compresses really well too!
>
> Oh dear. I've just thought of next year's April Fools RFC: TCP/IP over
> SMS...

Wouldn't that just be a low-bandwidth low-latency reformulation of
IP over carrier pigeon?

Hmm. Maybe I just found a good use for IPv4 TOS's categories.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson at Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.