[clug] Buisness case for Open Sourcing some code

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Thu Nov 18 23:51:25 GMT 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 02:39:38PM +1100, Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote:
> The best time to do this is before any code is written, for example
> by making it clear that you are utilising other people's code and
> the expectation is that you will reciprocate the favour.
>
> Unfortunately if CSIRO own the code you wrote and there's probably
> no financial incentive to giving it away. You best tack might be to
> argue that as a tiny project, it is cheap good will or it can be
> swapped for favours.

On the other hand CSIRO probably have no real interest in
commercializing the software either, so they certainly wouldn't be
interested in slowing down your development for the sake of not GPLing
it.  So if you found some GPLed library or code that would make your
life easier - there must be something, surely (readline? libgmp? gsl?)
- then your hands would be tied, wouldn't they...

david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au	| minimalist.  NOT _the_ _other_ _way_
http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson