[clug] Re: linux Digest, Vol 23, Issue 23

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 18 01:17:37 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 18:20, davidhornby wrote:
> Sorry folks but I don't think your cheque in the envelope system compares
> at all with the old Advance Bank system. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't
> this the scenario:
>

> 1. You need access to an internal ATM because you have to use special
> envelopes provided by the bank. The Advance Bank system was an external
> ATM therefore, I could deposit cheques at any time. Just shove a cheque in
> the hole!

No. The envelope is dispensed by the machine upon initiating a deposit.
Any paper money and cheques may be deposited, presumably anything thin
enough that can be cleared by a human.

The extra balance is reserved for a couple of days so you know it's
there but they have to clear the machine and make sure you didn't
deposit a piece of paper with IOU written on it.

> 2. You have to waste time filling out stuff on the envelope

No. You punch in the details in the same manner as a withdrawal.

> 3. The photocopy is important because it is a record of your deposit. What
> happens when your bank envelope disappears into the bowels of the bank
> without a trace?

Don't know but hasn't happened to me. The machine knows you put an
envelope in so presumably they would honour the deposit if the service
guy steals it before processing.

This is a similar problem to what happens if the machine doesn't give
you any money but charges you anyway. Theoretically a problem but
practically when did it last happen?

> The point I'm making is that one hears about "galloping technology"
> particularly when it applies to the IT industry but here is an example
> where a better system was in use 5-6 years ago. I can think of at least
> one example that applies to computing as well.

Except that your example is based entirely on your own false
assumptions. Sorry.

(I really hate defending ANZ but at least get the complaints right)

> Regards
>
> David Hornby

Have fun,
Darren