[clug] Mirroring boot disk on Debian

Nerdvana - Stephen Walsh s.walsh at nerdvana.com.au
Wed Nov 17 11:38:02 GMT 2004

I've done similar with FreeBSD, but slightly differently;

Do a really minimal install on the first drive, and reboot the system off of
it. Then, using atacontrol, I then do a

%atacontrol create RAID1 <disk1> <disk2>

which creates a new (but completely uninitialized) RAID container, ar0
consisting of my first and second drives.

Then I could reboot off of my install CD and, besides recognizing drives at
ad0 and ad1, ar0 was offered as a destination for the install.

Basically, you will probably need to do a base install, use your preferred
tool to create the RAID container, then reinstall, specifying the (new) Raid
container.

HTH

Stephen Walsh
Nerdvana Systems Pty Ltd
Ph:02 626 22 555
www.nerdvana.com.au

The Contents of this email may be privileged or contain sensitive business
information. If you have received this email in error or are not the
addressed recipient, Please contact the sender immediately and delete the
email. Any attachments received in this way are deemed Null and Void, and
will only be honoured by negotiation with Nerdvana Systems, Pty Ltd, or it's
duly authorised representative.