[clug] Mirroring boot disk on Debian

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Wed Nov 17 03:08:36 GMT 2004

On 17 Nov 2004, Stephen Jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> Anyone done this or can give me pointers??
>
> I've had two goes & am not happy with the result...
>
> Debian (sarge/testing) has install options of LVM or Neil Brown's MDADM
> [multi-disk.  Not quite mirroring...]
> Debian doesn't support booting from either. [or so it says]
>
> The sarge-installer's version of LVM concatenated the disks, [raid 0], did
> not seem to offer me raid 1 :-(
>
> Found a package 'raidtools2' & read the doco - gives two methods of
> creating bootable mirrored disk.  Is this "the one true way"??
> [apologies in advance, not meant to offend, just my humour]

LVM is a separate layer to RAID.  Typically you will mirror your disks
into md0, then run LVM on top of that, then filesystems on top of the
logical volumes.

  http://www.aplawrence.com/Linux/lvm.html

I don't know if the Debian installer lets you configure this.  I would
try booting into a shell, setting up your disks, then continuing on.

I'm going to buy a mirror disk soon and switch to this method.
(Hopefully saying that won't jinx my disk!)

--
Martin