[clug] Re: bank deposits

Jim Watson jim at amarooas.com.au
Tue Nov 16 20:45:52 GMT 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 06:20:29PM +1100, davidhornby wrote:

> Sorry folks but I don't think your cheque in the envelope system compares
> at all with the old Advance Bank system. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't

nearly right

> 1. You need access to an internal ATM because you have to use special
> envelopes provided by the bank. The Advance Bank system was an external

Banks provide an enveloep at the external ATM, but it must be "your
bank"'s ATM

> ATM therefore, I could deposit cheques at any time. Just shove a cheque in
> the hole!
this was very good, but only at Manuka Green Square, i never saw it anywhere
else...

> 2. You have to waste time filling out stuff on the envelope

no-  you just insert it. i am usually too slow so it starts hooting at me ;(

> 3. The photocopy is important because it is a record of your deposit. What
> happens when your bank envelope disappears into the bowels of the bank
> without a trace?

This is the same as using the quick deposit box inside the branch - um

> The point I'm making is that one hears about "galloping technology"
> particularly when it applies to the IT industry but here is an example
> where a better system was in use 5-6 years ago. I can think of at least

It used a fairly old fashioned looking thermal or chemical fax paper
printout, which i suspect has too many moving parts and too much paper.

Maybe you will be happy when the ATM emails a picture of the cheque to
display on your mobile phone?

jim