[clug] [OT] PPC virtualiser for Mac OS X on PPC?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Nov 12 06:35:28 GMT 2004

I'm trying out some different options for running "virtual machines" as
part of my upcoming demonstration of Samba + OpenLDAP. At present, I'm
trying to run with Bochs[1] - but Bochs is a i386 simulator. What I'd
really like is a PPC virtualiser (<thing> is to Mac OS X as VMWare is
to Windows, for example) so I can run Linux/PPC in the virtual
machines.

VirtualPC[2] isn't really what I'm after - it's another i386 simulator.
Besides, my money would be going to Microsoft.

Mac-on-Linux[3] isn't what I'm after, either - I want it the other way
around, to run multiple Linux guests on my Mac OS X laptop. The MOL
people are promising LOM RSN.

It's now taken about half an hour to boot Linux under Bochs on my eMac.
While Linux is doing nothing, Bochs is happily chewing up 100% of
processor time (that'll be the emulation of the low-power "sleep"
command, since Bochs is emulating clock-for-clock). For me as a laptop
user, that means sore thighs and very short battery life. As a
potential user, I can't imagine trying to run something more complex
than 'fortune' on this setup in real time.

I think Qemu[4] is what I'm after... will report back later.

I hope someone can help - there's got to be something I haven't found,
I don't want to have a dual-boot system, and I don't want to lug around
my various linux-only and dual-boot PCs from home.

Thanks in advance
Alex

[1] Bochs: http://bochs.sourceforge.net/
[2] Virtual PC:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx
[3] Mac-On-Linux: http://www.maconlinux.org/
[4] Qemu: http://www.freeoszoo.org/

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we
can solve them."  --Isaac Asimov