[clug] Open Source GIS URLS from last night

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Thu Nov 11 23:43:06 GMT 2004

hi all,

Last night I said I would post some URLs to the list. Here they are.
None are really "end-to-end" GIS solutions, but tools to build your own apps.

PostGIS: spatial extensions for Postgres
http://postgis.refractions.net	GPL

PostGIS is an extension for Postgres that lets you define column's
data type as a GIS object (think spatially aware BLOB). There are also
SQL functions to let you use these GIS objects in queries. i.e.
	http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch04.html#id3388304

I note that PostGIS now some supports 4d, I presume this would be
ideal for stuff that changes elevation and time (for example, animations
of US airline traffic).

Mapserver: A tool for rendering views of GIS data
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu	MIT/X style

Wrap some GIS data sources (either GIS files or pointers to geometry
columns in a Postgres table) and Mapserver provides a way of requesting
map views of that GIS data. Mapserver can also act as a WMS or WFS server,
for example, allowing you to stream data held in your Postgres database
to other users across the Internet.

GDAL/OGR: A GIS data abstraction library
http://www.gdal.org	MIT/X style

Rather than support data formats directly, support GDAL/OGR and you can use
any supported format. Also comes with utilities that let you convert GIS
data between supported formats. Recommended as a config option for Mapserver
since it means you can display data held in pretty much any format you
care to name.

Some meta-sites
http://www.remotesensing.org	Initially home for many GIS projects
http://www.freegis.org		OSS GIS directory
http://gpsd.berlios.de/gps-hacking.html	Something on GPS for Mikal:
    "a gentle introduction to writing GPS-aware applications - or,
     How I Stopped Worrying And Learned To Love Spherical Trigonometry"  <grin>

Cheers,

Antti

IMPORTANT - This message has been issued by The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF).  The information transmitted is for the use of the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged material.  It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening or sending them on.
Any reproduction, publication, communication, re-transmission, disclosure, dissemination or other use of the information contained in this e-mail by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  The taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.  If you have received this e-mail as part of a valid mailing list and no longer want to receive a message such as this one advise the sender by return e-mail accordingly.  Only e-mail correspondence which includes this footer, has been authorised by DAFF