[clug] New script based Phishing makes Windows even less safe.

Daniel McNamara daniel at codefish.net.au
Tue Nov 9 09:49:53 GMT 2004

Sam Couter wrote:

>Banks don't care because they don't accept the liability. If someone
>phishes your access codes and steals your money, the bank will say "Too
>bad" and point at the conditions of use for their internet banking
>facilities.

This is actually incorrect. Some people do lose out on money yes but in
many cases banks *have* swallowed the loss and I know banks very much
*do* care about this issue. This year it has cost many banks several
millions dollars in not only swallowing these losses but the following
fraud investigations and other costs as well. You'll find the losses
they suffer from these scams go well beyond what their client loses,

I know it's easy to pick on banks and yes I agree the do like to make
sure they make money over customer service in some cases this is not one
of them (at least not in a majority of cases).

Daniel McNamara
Code Fish Sys Admin