[clug] Configuring a modem to answer

Stephen Jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Sun Nov 7 05:13:06 GMT 2004

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Michael Still wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I have a modem which I have configured on a spare phone line to answer
> and do the mgetty / ppp thing. When I ring the modem from a test
> machine, I can hear it answer, but there is this
> consistent beeping over the top about once a second,
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Isn't this part of the V.90 'link training'
[or it could be part of the 'I'm a data device' signalling standard]
-> I'd expect this is coming from the originating modem.

V.90 requires the other end to be an ISDN modem to get 56k.
33.6k or ~38k are the [V.42??] full-analog alternatives.
[Google will know]

If all else fails, try setting both modems into these 'lower' protocols.

BTW: Are you seeing 'CD', DTR/DSR, RTS/CTS all working?  If they are not
being connected through to the PC's serial port, your linux serial driver
won't know the call is coming in and won't tell the modem to 'pick-up' the
call...

HTH