Update: [clug] USB key recommendations

Tony and Robyn Lewis beakysnugger at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 6 10:35:28 GMT 2004

> A change of jobs and an apparent fall in prices[1] makes me want a USB
> key now.

Bought one - a Transcend JetFlash 1GB for $145 from the computer fair at
the old bus depot today.

Someone advised that HT has SanDisk Cruzers for $165, which was good,
considering HT, but had no LED nor write protect.

At the computer fair, it came down to the JetFlash or a Kingmax one (same
price).  The JetFlash has a lid (completely separable - bad; strap
attaches to the lid baaaad), whereas the Kingmax has a retractable USB
connector, but no cover for it.  I guessed that this would end up getting
grungy, hence I opted for the Transcend.

I couldn't tell through the packaging whether either of them was plastic
or metal casing.  The JetFlash is plastic.  Bummer.

Plugged in, and she worked (Debian 2.6.8-1 kernel).  Works OK in an
unpowered hub.

Using dd to test read speed, I get 2.7MB/s.  Lot less than claimed, but
not too shabby I guess.

Tony

Tony