[clug] Configuring a modem to answer

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Sat Nov 6 07:26:57 GMT 2004

Hey all,

I have a modem which I have configured on a spare phone line to answer
and do the mgetty / ppp thing. When I ring the modem from a test
machine, I can hear it answer, but there is this consistent beeping over
the top about once a second, for about 20 - 30 seconds, and the
handshake fails.

I assume that I need to put the modem which is answering (a v.90 modem
if that matters) into funky ISP answer mode.

How do I do that?

Thanks,
Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | "The geek shall inherit
http://www.stillhq.com            |  the earth"

Linux.conf.au 2005 -- Quite like an excellent Linux and Open Source
conference. http://lca2005.linux.org.au