[clug] [OT] USB key recommendations

Sam Couter sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Thu Nov 4 10:13:31 GMT 2004

Paul Warren <u3292467 at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> Or you could get a Neuros (www.neurosaudio.com)

I'll second this in a big way. Only had mine a few weeks and I love it.
I built some not-so-fancy electronics so it hooks up to the intercom/CB
on my motorbike and is charged/powered from the bike.

Advantages over an iPod:

+ Ogg Vorbis
+ Non-DRM WMA (apparently)
+ Built-in FM transmitter *and* receiver
+ Cheaper
+ Linux friendly
+ Able to copy music and other files *off* the device as well as on

Disadvantages:

- Physically larger
- No AAC support yet, maybe never, definately never iTunes DRM disabled
AAC support. Irrelevant in Australia as iTunes ain't available.
- Controls aren't quite as nice as the iPod scrollwheel
- No local support, $100 or more return shipping for repairs

But the biggest advantage is:
+ Apple can't fuck you over!

Open-source firmware is a nice idea but turns out to be impractical.
The compiler suite for the microcontroller is about five grand. GCC port
is on its way but could be years.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org