[clug] Network auto-detection?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Nov 4 05:31:53 GMT 2004

Are there any tools under Linux (Debian specifically, Linux generally)
that allow eg: a laptop to automatically change network (and other)
settings when assigned a new DHCP lease (or at command)?

For example - I move my laptop from my place to someone else's place.
At my place it has network address 192.168.10.100. At their place, it's
10.1.2.3. I'd like to be able to adjust everything on the fly -
/etc/resolv.conf, /etc/hosts, which ethernet interfaces are enabled
(and which aliases are present), what the name of the machine is, etc.

There is some work going on with the "resolvconf" project, which allows
various third parties to influence DNS related information, but I can't
seem to find anything (Google thinks "location manager" is all about
Macintosh, and "automatic network" anything is all about Win32) that
fits the bill.

Mac OS X, for example, has location manager. This will automatically
set up network parameters, but I haven't yet found a way to get the
location manager to run stuff that I want (eg: at home, I use a pgsql
server on a desktop box, elsewhere I want to start the local pgsql
server). When I wake the mac up at the new place, it tries to renew its
DHCP lease, fails, asks for a lease, gets the new address, realises
that this new address means a change in location... et voila, all done.
The nearest I can find for Linux is a bunch of home-grown (and very
machine-specific) scripts.

Any pointers?

Thanks
Alex

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we
can solve them."  --Isaac Asimov