[clug] POP and iptables problem

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Nov 4 03:56:36 GMT 2004

On 4 Nov 2004, at 14:16, Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote:

> So I get a call this morning. No good deed goes un-punished...

Ain't that the truth!

> Whilst SMTP and web still work, POP3 from the Windows98
> desktop running Outlook does not. Outlook cannot retrieve
> mail and I get an error code that looks up as:
>
>    0x800   CCC0E FAILED_TO_CONNECT Cannot connect to server.

Is there any chance at all that:
  - you could install Thunderbird or Eudora and try connecting with that
software?
  - the ISP has changed their POP server, so it now advertises a POP
option that
    Outlook can/will not support? or even changed the POP server
configuration so
    that it doesn't support broken clients like Outlook*?
  - you could run a protocol analyser or packet sniffer on the firewall
    investigate the problem at the wire level? This will often point out
one of
    those "duh!" problems such as looking up the wrong host name...

I don't know about POP, but IMAP support in Outlook is broken, because
it sends IMAP messages that aren't correctly formatted during the
session initialisation, and expects headers from the server that are
broken the same way.

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we
can solve them."  --Isaac Asimov