[clug] POP and iptables problem

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Thu Nov 4 03:16:51 GMT 2004

Hi all,

Last night I graciously volunteered my time to shift
a community group's web access from dial-up to ADSL.

In went a IPCop based firewall (very nice) and after
some testing to ensure web and email worked OK, I cut
the whole office over. Currently HTTP, DNS, POP & SMTP
are the only ports allowed through. Further testing confirmed
that web, SMTP and POP3 all worked.

So I get a call this morning. No good deed goes un-punished...

Whilst SMTP and web still work, POP3 from the Windows98
desktop running Outlook does not. Outlook cannot retrieve
mail and I get an error code that looks up as:

   0x800   CCC0E FAILED_TO_CONNECT Cannot connect to server.

Now if I telnet to port 110 on the pop server from that Win98
desktop, I can establish a connection with the POP server and
get "OK" messages most of the way through authentication (I don't
have the password and the owner was out). I try (no success)
adding port 995 (SSL) to the ruleset.

There is a possibility that the password stored in Outlook for
that POP account is incorrect. The machine had a variety of
backdoors and trojans (partially?) removed yesterday.

Now, since I can connect to the POP server OK, I am inclined to
think that the issue has nothing to do with the firewall. Is this
a reasonable assumption? Or have I missed something important?

Ideas?

Antti

IMPORTANT - This message has been issued by The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF).  The information transmitted is for the use of the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged material.  It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening or sending them on.
Any reproduction, publication, communication, re-transmission, disclosure, dissemination or other use of the information contained in this e-mail by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  The taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.  If you have received this e-mail as part of a valid mailing list and no longer want to receive a message such as this one advise the sender by return e-mail accordingly.  Only e-mail correspondence which includes this footer, has been authorised by DAFF