[clug] cyrus-imapd doesn't show mailboxes

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Nov 4 00:43:59 GMT 2004

On 4 Nov 2004, at 10:43, Boris Rousak wrote:

> I have configured /etc/imapd.conf and sendmail.cf and
> even created mailboxes with cyradm, however everytime
> I try to connect to it with my mozilla mail client I
> get a message "Mailbox does not exist".

Given the unixhierarchysep option, to create a mailbox for the user
"grail", you would issue the command "cm user/grail" within cyradm.

Check that the box exists: usually in
/var/spool/cyrus/mail/user/grail/, there should be some files in there
such as "cyrus.cache", "cyrus.header" and "cyrus.index". Send some
email to that account (using SMTP to your MTA) and see what happens. If
mail is delivered successfully, you should find a new "NNN." file in
that directory alongside cyrus.cache and friends, eg:

[root at franklin:/var/spool/cyrus/mail/user/grail]# ls -1F
3650.
5354.
INBOX@
Trash/
cyrus.cache
Junk/
cyrus.header
cyrus.index
Drafts/
Sent/

Note that the spurious mailboxes have been set up by my mail client,
and INBOX is a symlink to ".".

If the above statements are true for your environment (mailbox is
user/name, directory on file system contains cyrus files), you may want
to try the "altnamespace" option. This flattens the namespace presented
to the client, so that "INBOX" and "Trash" appear at the same level,
rather than "Trash" appearing as "INBOX/Trash" to the client (using
Unix hierarchy separators).

Failing all else, check the communications between your client and the
server with a protocol analyser (eg: ethereal or tcpdump). I found many
interesting occurrences in the communication between Cyrus and Apple's
Mail.app - Mail.app would try to create folders before subscribing to
them, and barf when the server tells it that the folder already exists
(Cyrus says the create operation failed because the folder already
exists, Mail assumes that the create operation failing was a bad thing
and gives up).

HTH
Alex

I have learned to use the word 'impossible' with the greatest caution.
  -- Wernher von Braun