[clug] [OT] USB key recommendations

Paul Warren u3292467 at anu.edu.au
Wed Nov 3 23:59:02 GMT 2004

Alex Satrapa wrote:
> On 4 Nov 2004, at 08:33, Dale Shaw wrote:
>
>> I noticed yesterday that YeahDone (www.yeahdone.com.au) are flogging
>> *4GB* USB keys for $548.90 (cheaper as a dealer). They're definitely
>> getting cheaper.
>

> Marginally on-topic, but while we're talking about large (capacity) and
> expensive, can I mention the iPod?
>
> For anyone who's curious, here is my list of iPod pros and cons as
> compared to thumb drives:
>  + It's got a decent storage capacity (20GB or 40GB, new model up to 60GB)
>  + FireWire out of the box
>  + USB 2.0 with optional cable
>  - No USB 1.1 support (either doesn't work or doesn't work well)
>  - needs cables to connect to Firewire or USB
>  + Faster than Flash
>  - only rated for 70,000 hours, where most desktop drives are rated
>    at about 200,000 hours (or at least, that's how I read it) and
>    Flash is usually rated for 100,000 write cycles
>  - a lot bulkier than a thumb drive, so you can't store it on your keyring
>  - requires charging for internal battery
>  + draws power from Firewire
>  - can only draw power from 6 pin Firewire connection, not 4 pin
>  - can't be powered from USB 2.0
>  + plays music (but then, so do some thumb drives)
>  + has accessories such as card readers (for importing photos from
>    digital camera media only) and microphones
>  - no radio or line in (at least three brands of thumb drive MP3
>    players that I've seen, feature FM radios - none feature AM)
>  - more attractive to thieves

<Plug>
Or you could get a Neuros (www.neurosaudio.com)
Which plays open formats (Ogg now, FLAC coming, as well as mp3 and
wav.), has usb 2.0 out of the box, with recharge from USB 2.0 capability.
Open source Firmware (neuros-firmware.sf.net (MPL) 128 or 256MB, 20, 50,
60, 80 Gb(or even 100 if your _Rich_)
Line in / Mic recording to wav or mp3.
FM transmitter (iTrip built in)
</Plug>

That said, I've had mine for two years,sent it back for USB 2.0 upgrade
early last year, upgraded it (myself) from 20Gb to 40Gb, and it just
keeps on trucking.  Definately recommend.

Cheers.
--
Paul Warren
u3292467 at anu dot edu dot au