[clug] Expressions of Interest: Wyse X-11 terminals - Group Purchase

Stephen Jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Mon May 31 05:49:37 GMT 2004

Wyse make a range of 'thin-terminals' I thought may be of interest to CLUG
members.  Either as straight X-11 terminals or as a playbox...

I've talked to Wyse (Steven Caldwell) who are interested in discounting to
us.  I've talked to one of the local distributors, Dataflex as well.

We should be able to get the 10-off price.  He wasn't keen on offering us
the 100-off price :-)  They can take credit-card payments.  Haven't worked
out delivery & such.

Prices vary with the exchange rate...
Units mostly don't come with screens.
Some come loaded with Windows (CE or XP).
entry level is 1200LE: $471.65 RRP.  10-off: $415 (ex-GST?)
One _does_ come loaded with Linux :-)  5455XL.  $856.34 RRP.
Some can be fitted with hard disks, CD-drives, floppies...

Anyone interested, get back to me.
If there's interest, I can pursue this futher.

With a couple of weeks notice, we can get some 'loaner' equipment for a
demo at a CLUG night.

Standard disclaimers:  I don't work for any of these people, no financial
interest or kickbacks/commissions, no other involvement with them.

cheers
steve

Links:
All about the Wyse product range:
http://www.wyse.com.au/product/winterm/index.html
They have 'simple', 'powerful' & 'flexible' ranges.

Dataflex pricing:
http://www.dataflex.com.au/catalogue/list.jsp?tier4=369&type=group

Linux term (5455):
http://www.wyse.com.au/product/winterm/5455xl.html

The 1200LE is the 'entry level', does come with 2*USB, may not support
X-11 [ICA & RDP for MS]
http://www.wyse.com.au/product/winterm/1200le.html
"It comes with fully integrated 16- bit stereo sound capability,
10/100Base-T network support, and optimized I/O with two USB
ports."  0Mb flash, 32Mb RAM.
"Video: selectable, up to 1280x1024"

Height: 1.70 inches (4.3cm)
Width: 7.64 inches (19.4cm)
Depth: 6.18 inches (15.7cm)
Shipping weight: 7.7lbs (3.5kg)

Has 'VESA' mounting to go on the back of a flat screen.

Steve Jenkin, Unix Sys Admin
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)
PO Box 48, Kippax ACT 2615, AUSTRALIA