[clug] Cheap ADSL providers in Canberra

Irena and Richard Jenkins rjenkins at alphalink.com.au
Fri May 28 05:30:34 GMT 2004

No wish to start a flame war... REALLY!!

Now that the probability of Transact cable getting into my suburb (Flynn) has
receded to about my chance of winning the lottery I have begun to look beyond
my dialup connection at local isp offering 256k ADSL.

I have come across an isp offering 256k ADSL connection for $25 a month and I
was wondering if any locals have had experience dealing with them.  In
parenthesis I should say that I am seriously considering dipping my toe into
the adsl stream ... and have seriously looked at TPG ($19.95 for 200Meg) and
Exetel (sorry, we don't do Canberra,Queanbeyan).  If I bundle phone with
adsl, then iinet have a good $25 bundle ... again with a 200Meg download
limit.  Now I am dipping into adsl  ... but 200Meg at 256k seems only a short
download time each month.  The excess download bills seem to be
frightening ... although some isp do cap them at $40 (additional) each month.
You have to watch your activity!  Some even have half-price downloads after
midnight ... but my mummy says: now that I've retired I can see no good
reason to watch the dawn come up regularly!!

I came across a mob called 'aaNet'.  They offer a $25/month deal, a 1 Gig
download limit ... and they service Canberra!  Has anyone dealt with them or
know of any who have?    They are marching up the popularity charts conducted
on Whirlpool and that seems a good recommend ... but after the blank looks I
got from other providers when I mentioned (a) linux and (b) macintosh (OS 9),
I am cautious.  I have my own modem ... more blank looks from providers who
bundle packages.

As it seems I have only to take a 6-month contract, I am thinking I might give
them a go ... providing there are no negatives.  The aaNet package includes
the usual fixed address, multiple mailboxes, etc.  It seems a great deal ...

Any comments anyone??

Richard

--
Irena & Richard Jenkins     VK1NDV & VK1RJ
Canberra, AUSTRALIA