Telecommuting (was Re: [clug] Perl programming in Japan for a year)

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed May 26 06:47:38 GMT 2004

On Wednesday, May 26, 2004, at 15:55 Australia/Canberra, Michael Still
wrote:

> The hardest bits are missing out on the office gossip and free grog ...
> I find I get a lot more work done at home, and still do it from time
> to time.

One could argue that productivity is inversely proportional to
distraction level. Thus you are more productive *because* you miss out
on the gossip. That's true even when you work in the same physical
location - the people who are more productive in the office also tend
to be the less politically involved (and vice versa). Then of course
there are the people like me who are neither productive nor politically
involved ;)

On Wednesday, May 26, 2004, at 16:21 Australia/Canberra, Gough, Chris
wrote:

>  ... I sometimes have to explain to friends
> and family that while I'm at home in my pajamas with a case of
> microphone
> head, I'm actually working, so no, I can't go rock climbing / fix the
> leaking tap.

One hint I read (saw on TV?) a while ago was that when working from
home, you should get into work clothes, and actually go into a part of
the house designated as the home office. This way you and those around
you will find it easier to take the "working from home" thing seriously
- if you're dressed for business, and in the office, you're obviously
not to be distracted. If you're pondering some code on your laptop in
the lounge room while sipping a coffee, it's harder for others to
believe that you're "at work".

Regards
Alex Satrapa

Australian Phenomics Facility