[clug] [slightly OT] PC transport

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon May 24 07:24:04 GMT 2004

On Monday, May 17, 2004, at 16:51 Australia/Canberra, Simon Burton
wrote:

> It looks like I will try to take my desktop machine (it's a beast),
> not including the monitor.
> Does anyone have hints on the best way to do this?

I have successfully transported PCs across the continent using airlines
by squeezing everything into a smaller case (eg: one of the mini
desktop cases), then wrapping it all in four layers of alternating
bubblewrap (the 2cm bubbles) and light sponge foam (the 1cm thick
stuff). Then stick it in a large 2-ply corrugated cardboard box, fill
empty space with crushed newspaper and tape shut with gaffer tape.
Apply gaffer tape liberally all over to stop the cardboard being
shredded.

I tested it all by dropping the whole kit and kaboodle onto solid
concrete from 2m, on the corner of the box. It bounced and damaged the
corners of the outer box, but the discs still worked. Note that
dropping onto carpet or ashphalt defeats the purpose of testing, since
they are softer than concrete.

Use the system as a soccer ball for a while (the baggage handlers
willl, anyway), and consider taping "handles" onto the box to encourage
the handlers to carry it properly. Label it with "Fragile" and "Heavy"
- this guarantees two handlers will carry it to save their backs, thus
ensuring slightly gentler handling (that, or you'll have twice the
initial momentum). Last I checked, places like Pack 'n' Send or TNT
have the big orange/yellow "Heavy" stickers. Make it important to the
handler to be careful ;)

Alex Satrapa
Australian Phenomics Facility
Australian National University