[clug] Looking for string indexing library

Jepri jepri at webone.com.au
Mon May 24 14:27:14 GMT 2004

Tony and Robyn Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 21:17, Jepri wrote:
>
>>I've got a list of city names (approx 3 million) and I need to write
>>some C code to search through them all quickly.

> Is a Trie what you're after? Something like at
> http://www.cs.bu.edu/teaching/c/tree/trie/

Cool thanks.  That's really close to what I want.  I don't know how
important substring matching is.

Quick poll of the list: when searching for, say, "Sydney", would you
expect to see results like "City of Sydney", or would it not bother you
so long as you got the right area on the map.

Incidentally there are three Sydney's in Africa.  The British were
inventive with their names, yes?.

>>And while I'm wishing, I'd like a pony as well.
>

> Try these guys - http://www.greyhawkes.com/ps/freepony.html

I'd vote for 'em :)