[clug] Looking for string indexing library

Jepri jepri at webone.com.au
Mon May 24 11:17:17 GMT 2004

I've got a list of city names (approx 3 million) and I need to write
some C code to search through them all quickly.

I'm accessing them by by packing them all into a file (with null
termination), and then mmaping the file.

So the string indexing library would have to accept pointers to the
strings, not copy them into some internal store, be able to do substring
lookups, and ideally be able to return a key or index value for the
string it finds.  Even better would be if it could save its index and
hot-start from that.

Unicode would be nice.

And while I'm wishing, I'd like a pony as well.

Has anyone seen something like this?